Lata Medang is situated just beyond the town of Kuala Kubu Bharu (KKB) if you are on the way to Fraser’s Hill. To be more specific, it is just 10 to 15 minutes after the KKB dam where you will come across the Kampung Pertak signboard which is where you enter. Some attractions worth stopping by on your way to Lata Medang include ‘Kedai Makanan Lee’ in KKB town which is famous for its curry noodles, yong tau foo, and wan tan noodles. Apart from that be sure to buy some durian cake and kaya puffs from Teng Wun Bakery and Confectionery. Both can be searched online. Last but not least, don’t forget to stop by the dam to take a picture by the beautiful lake!
If you’re looking for a short getaway coupled with a moderately easy hike and a spectacular waterfall to cool off after then this is a treat for you. The journey is only about an hour and half drive from KL to reach the parking zone. The trekking itself is another hour and half (assuming group of 5 moderately fit individuals) and the waterfall… see for yourself in the pictures below 🙂
By the way when I say moderately easy what I mean is that the paths are clear-cut and there are no real obstacles during the trek. I’d consider it a friendly hike as there were plenty of families who brought their children for the hike.
There were two or three occasions where the path was split but we just kept to the left.
Lata Medang is a spectacular waterfall. What I enjoyed most was sitting underneath the fall and getting a shoulder massage by nature (yes there is place for you to sit). Furthermore, level 3 was much cleaner which is always a bonus when it comes to my personal ratings. So overall Lata Medang is another friendly get-away location where it is safe to bring adventurous children and trekkers who are looking for a solid 1.5 hour hike.
What to bring/wear?
There were no leeches during my trip hence it is fine to wear shorts.
Jo’s ratings (ratings are subjective and biased towards participants’ experience)
- Accessibility: 10/10 (There were proper roads and an open space for parking)
- Difficulty: 4/10 (Only one or two steep sections, other than that the path was quite flat)
- Rewarding Experience: 7/10 (A decent hike especially after having disappeared for a while coupled with a spectacular waterfall and cleanliness is a plus point too)
- Overall Rating: 7/10 (A friendly place for family trips and non-seasoned hikers)
Be a responsible person, leave only footprints and memories behind.
GPS Coordinates (Decimal Degrees):
- From KL, use the North South highway (E1) heading towards Ipoh and turn off at Kuala Kubu Bharu
- Head to the town of KKB and follow highway 55 until you reach the dam
- Shortly after you pass the dam, turn in at Kg Pertak follow the path until you reach the parking zone